Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Restaurant Review: Buddha's Vegetarian Restaurant Hong Kong Style

Buddha's Vegetarian Restaurant
666 Dundas Street West
Toronto, ON M5T 1H9
(416) 603-3811

In my last 2 reviews, I've been reviewing dumpling restaurants.  This time around I went to a restaurant at the edge of Chinatown near Dundas St W and Bathurst Ave.  This place specializes in vegetarian food and they seem to be mighty popular.  This place has been around for 19 years, since 1991.  The restaurant doesn't really spell out, please come in and is not very inviting. but as you enter the store you will notice all the customers within the place and the large abundant of people buying take out and picking up their phone orders.  The majority of their customers are asian, but about 1/4 of them are non asians. They speak in Cantonese, mandarin and English.   I believe Buddha's popularity has spawned a competing restaurant a few stores over to serve the exact same type of food, except you don't see as many customer inside and looks empty.  I am guessing Buddha can get busy since it is beside a hospital during lunch and dinner hours.

Luckily, at 5:40 tonight, it wasn't busy.  As you walk in you will notice it is very small, not alot of places to sit, also not the fanciest place. You just get your basic table and chair, white walls.  They actually have more seating in another room which you don't see until they walk you to the back.  As you walk by the back you can get a glimpse of the kitchen and some fridges and dirty dishes.  This place is really just a home turned into a restaurant on the main floor. I didn't get a good chance to take a picture of the menu, but they only have 2 pages of items they serve.

Buddha's Vegetarian Restaurant
Photo: Menu (larger version click here)

I've ordered 2 items today for 2, as the noodles do come in large proportions.   I've ordered #26, Buddha Special Mixed Vegetables on E-Fu noodles (add $1) and the Soya Roll.  First came the noodles (see picture below), the vegetables included 2 types mushrooms, broccoli, dried tofu, corn, ba choi, and some other items which I'm not sure what to name.  All these toppings came with a light sauce which didn't make the noodles dry.  Once I ate the toppings they were very fresh, was not over cooked and had things very nice feeling once you bite into it.  The noodles itself wasn't very soggy from the sauce and also wasn't over cooked.

Buddha's Vegetarian RestaurantBuddha's Vegetarian Restaurant

Photo: Buddha's Special Mixed Vegetables on E-Fu Noodles

Next came the Soya Roll.  The first time I had it, I thought it was amazing, I haven't tried this item at any other place, but I like the this dish very much.  The skin was crispy out the outside, and the inside was also very fresh and crunchy with mushroom and bamboo shoots. It was also only $1.70.  Next time, I'm going to try the spring roll.


Buddha's Vegetarian Restaurant
Photo: Soya Roll

When the bill came, we were stuffed.  and the bill only came to $10.40.  The noodle might seem a bit pricey compared to food court noodles, but they are pretty much on par with other noodles you can get from restaurants.  Every time I went to this restaurant, it takes quite some time for them to get you the bill.  They are friendly and although a few of the ladies might not have very good english, they try to help/accomdate your requests.  Its not a fancy place to bring a first date since its not very nice place, but I did enjoy the food.  I see many tables order 5 giant plates of food alot of times for 2 people, but I am sure they are going to bring the leftovers home.  I really enjoyed the food here and will be returning back for more.

I would rate this place 3/5 because its not very nice, but if I didn't consider the decor I would rate it 4/5 because of the food.

Y

No comments:

Post a Comment