Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Restaurant Review: Gourmet Burger Company

Store Exterior
Gourmet Burger Co
482 Parliament Street
Toronto, ON
M4X 1P2


www.thegourmetburgerco.com

This is the most hyped up and one of the most well rated burger joints within the GTA.  They have 2 locations right now in the downtown area and is going to have another location soon near the Yonge and  Eglinton area.  This is actually my second visit to this place, but I went to the Charles St Location instead of the Parliment location.  I actually love eating burgers and had alot of them and this one rates one of my favourties, but not the best burger I've had.  I think these new burger joints that are considered gourmet burger are becoming fairly popular.  In other publications I've read, they mentioned other places but I haven't a chance to try those places out.

Menu and Store Front
Photo: Store Front

If you visit their website, you can find out what they serve and the price of their burgers.  Also, you can find all the reviews that has been posted about that restaurant. First off, the prices are not cheap compared to Burger King and McDonalds.  I would say you would need about $10 for a combo, which includes either fries, sweet potatoe fries or onion rings, with either a pop or bottle of water.  My bill came out to $20 for the works combo, with a mushroom melt burger.  As you walk in you will see that the store isn't really big, and the length of the front counter is basically the length of the store, and imagine that length going out the other way like a square.  There is only seating for about 8-10 people, and I did read and noticed that alot of people eat at this location.  Overall the service is very good.  The decor is fairly modern with a very simple layout.

The Works Burger
Photo: The Works Burger

Now onto the food.  Off the top of my head their main competitors is South Street Burger, Hero Burger and Craft Burger.  I would rate Gourmet Burger above their competitors.  I ordered the works since I love cheese and bacon.  When I first bit into this burger, I can taste the freshly grilled burger, just like the taste of something coming off the bbq.  The bun was not overly toasted and had the right amount of softeness still in tack.  The Lettuce and Tomatoes was fresh and the cheese melted into my mouth.  Usually the bacon doesn't taste that well in burgers (or at least the ones I've had recently), this one was different, it was very crispy and tasted very nice.  The burger came with sweet potato fries and they were just fried enough, and not burnt.  My girl friend pointed out that perhaps the fries can but cut a bit thicker, but most sweet potato fries I've seen has been cut like shoe strings.  While I had the the works, she got the Mushroom Melt Burger which looks amazing,  When she opened the wrapper, you can see that the burger was juicy and had lots of mushroom with sauce.  I cannot really comment on that burger but she said it was an excellent burger, but not the best she had either.

Mushroom Melt Burger
Photo: Mushroom Melt Burger

Overall, I had a very positive experience at this place.  Good thing I went around 1:30 pm today and was able to get a seat and enjoy the burger inside.  I would say in downtown Toronto, the value was average to pricey for a burger combo.  If there was one closer to me, I would most definitely visit this place more frequent.  You can see that this store is growing in popularity and there seem to be a demand.  They also have a sign which promotes the company being green and they started using biodegradable packaging.  This place I believe lives up to the hype and all the praises it gets from local media in Toronto.  If you love burgers be sure to check out this place.  The only place I would consider better is T-bones out in Scarborough, and Shake Shack in New York

4/5

Y
Enviro Friendly (Green)Sweet Potatoe FriesThe Works Burger

No comments:

Post a Comment