Sunday, January 24, 2010

Restaurant Review: Northern Dumpling Kitchen

Northern Dumpling Kitchen
Northern Dumpling Kitchen
Unit 52A, 550 Hwy #7, E.
Richmond Hill, Ontario

I have been on a request to do another Dumpling Restaurant Review.  After getting a few feedbacks from my facebook comments,  I have been discouraged that nothing will really taste like the real northern style dumplings.  The other comment I received is that this place is better than Chinese Dumpling House.

I've been to this place around 4 times prior to this review.  Going in, I tried to order the same type of dumpling, so I have something to compared with, on the menu there wasn't any items with chives in it.  There was around 4-5 pages on the menu with a good selection.  All the items had a chinese and english description with a number so ordering wouldn't be a problem since their english is not really their strong point.  While we were in there was a decent amount of people in there around 1:45, and we didn't have to wait for a table.  There was 2 caucasian males that was also eating there, and seem like they are returning customer.  So we ordered 3 dishes for lunch.

Shanghai Rice Cake
A shanghai rice cake ($6.50) made of soft dough cooked along some shredded pork, shrimp and green/red peppers. The dish was pretty good, and better than the one that is served at Asian Legend.  I personally prefer the rice cake served with a darker sauce and only with shredded pork and cabbage.  When I get a chance I will go review another dumpling place which is rated really well in toronto magazines and other food review boards.

Pork Dumplings
Next came the Pork and Leek Dumplings.  I don't remember the price exactly but I believe it is between $4-5.  Reminder to all, inside the dumpling may be very oily.  Recommend to eat these dumplings with vinegar.  Came out steaming hot.  Once in your mouth, the flavor of the meat combined with the cabbage was awesome.  I enjoyed this dish the best of the 3.

Pork and Cabbage Pan Fried Dumplings
Lastly came the deep fried pork and leek dumplings.  They do offer other meat other than pork, but I wasn't too interested in lamb or shrimp dumplings today.  These things was packed with oil inside, so please becareful when eating and oil can be everywhere, including burning the inside of your mouth.  I think these were okay, because I've had better from Ding Tai Fung and Asian Legend.  The price of this plate is also really reasonable, also around $4-5.

Lunch for 2 ended up to be $20 with tip.  Food experience was good to satisfy my hunger.  Many more people love eating at this place and said its one of the better places around.  I would rate this place exactly the same as Chinese Dumpling House.  One thing I didn't get a chance to visit in all my review was the restroom and how it was presented.

Happy Eating and enjoy!

Y

No comments:

Post a Comment