Thursday, March 4, 2010

Restaurant Review: Chino Locos - Burritos with an Asian Twist

Chino Locos
Chino Locos
4 Greenwood Ave,
Toronto, ON M4L 2P4
http://chinolocos.com/

After reviewing Burrito Boyz many RFD comments said that Chino Locos had really great burritos and I was very eager to try this place. I saw that they have a new location opened up in the downtown area, but I headed over to the original location. There isn't much parking as it is at the corner of Greenwood and Queen St. It was very easy to find, and if you take the subway, there is a bus stop right in front of the store. When I first drove by the store, I was looking for a lit up sign, but as I walked out of my car towards the establishment, I realized it was just a banner and really cheap looking sign. Once I opened the door, the bottom handled was taped up, and the door doesn't close properly, or close at all automatically. The store is really small, and what you see in the picture is the space of the place. There are 3 bar stools and one chair for anyone waiting. This place to me is mainly focused on take out.

Cooking Area
Photo: Store Size

First thing I enter this take out place, I turn my head upwards looking for their menu. After looking for a few seconds, the employee their knew we were first timers. The menu was just placed on the counter and had only a few selection. I picked the pull pork burrito, and my girl friend picked the steak burrito. You get your regular choice of white or whole wheat wrap, and then they asked if you wanted chow main or rice, then realized that was their special ingredient which we chose. I really cannot take anything spicy, so I always go for very mild flavor burritos.

Off da Hook
Photo: Off Da Hook Burrito

It took about 5 mins for the burrito to get assembled then it was put into a grill to toast the wrap. The only other burrito place I've been to recently is Burrito Boyz and I will use that to compare my experiences. I prefer that the wrap be a bit more toasty just like Burrito Boyz. It was surly a new experience of having chow main in my burrito, but didn't really fuse to my liking. I come from a chinese background and did not really like it. Didn't really taste the guacamole and sour cream. On my pull pork the meat was very tender and had lots of flavor, but I cannot tell, but something was giving it a taste I did not like, and think its coming from the chow main. The portion was good, and was most definitely full from eating this meal. Price is avg as, 2 burritos came to around $14. Space was limited so, I wasn't able to eat within the store.

Asian Fusion Article
Photo: Asian Fusion Burrito

My experience wasnt that great overall. I would rate this place 2/5. I think the concept is very unique, and can see why people like this, but personally its not something for me. The staff was very nice, and the inside gave a very homey feeling, like it was a neighborhood favorite. I'm sure you would be full from eating this, and at the time I arrived there was alot of people buying taking or picking up their orders.

Check out the rest of the gallery here. Sorry for the poor pictures but there was very little lighting and the burritos are taken in my car, and I didn't bring my flash with me last night

Y

No comments:

Post a Comment