Monday, March 22, 2010

Restaurant Review: Torito Tapas Bar

Torito Tapas Bar
276 Augusta Ave.
Toronto, Ontario
416.961.7373
www.toritotapasbar.com

During this march break, I had the chance to try out a tapas bar in Kenningston Market. A friend of mine recommended this place found from martiniboys. This would of been the 3rd tapas restaurant I've been to, and had no expectations. Was at the place at 7 and it wasn't busy at all, but once 8 rolled around it was quite the happening place in all of Kenningston.

As we entered it was a dark environment and a had nice easy going music playing in the background.  Had a very nice easy going and chillin vibe to the place.  The wait staff in the restaurant was very helpful and came by often to check on us.  In the picture below they had a prefixed menu (on the chalkboard on the left) for $35 and $5 of this goes to a charity, and I did like the interior.  It is a very small place and can fit around 40-50 people.

Inside facing Entrance
Facing the entrance

Unfortunately as the night progressed, the lights became even more dim, and I wasn't able to take any pictures of the food.  My group of 3 decided to get the prefixed menu as the waitress described it as a good starter for the 3 of us.  It came with a soup, pulled rabbit on a toast piece of bread, and pan seared sweetbraeads with potato and tomato.  The soup wasn't that special, there was tomoates and potatoes in it and seem very plain and not something I would usually order from a restaurant.  The rabbit was new to me, first time I tried rabbit meat.  The dish came in 3 pieces around the size of the rim of a small coffee cup.  On the bread was the rabbit meat, and it was very tiny (size of a a toothpick) and came with some onions along with it.  It was good, except I couldn't tell what was the closest meat it resembled.  My friends came to a conclusion that it was like chicken.  The Pan seared sweetbread was okay,  I personally just didn't like the texture and didn't have much taste to me, again, very plain.

Aside from getting the prefix dinner menu which wasn't enough for 3 people for dinner.  We ordered an additional 3 tapas. The only food item I got a picture of was the sliced meat with grapes (picture below).  The meat was very salty and the grapes was very sour,  but once combined, it was more delightful, unfortunately there wasn't that many pieces for me to try. Next we got the daily special, which was a halibut grilled naturally in its own oil (my description of this isn't as well described, thats all I can remember from the description).  I'm not a fish person and I felt that this piece of fish had a bit of fishy taste but I can bear the taste.  My two friends enjoyed the fish very much and it was their favourite dish of the night.  The last dish I tried was my personal favourite, it was the Chilean tripe stew, it came with chicken peas and a few very thin slices of cheese on top. The sauce was excellent and the tripe was cooked to perfection, and as you put the cheese on top of the tripe, the combination is truly a melt in your mouth sensation.

Sliced Meat with Grapes
Sliced Meat with Grapes

The price of the meal came to about $50 a person with a 1 litre pitcher of Sangria.  I enjoyed a few dishes and the price I think is normal for tapas bars.  Really good environment to hang out in, and the staff is really friendly.  If your hungry I don't think its a good place to eat at for the value.  It was a good experience and I did enjoy a few dishes. 

Overall I would give this place a 2.5/5

Y

No comments:

Post a Comment