Sunday, October 4, 2009

Nuit Blanche 2009

Heard about this event last year and didn't find it too attractive to attend, and maybe at that point I wasn't too much into giving up my sleep. This year, with my new photography hobby, things seem to change. I wanted to capture some of the moments and crafts of people giving to this event. Prior from attending I read a few blogs and articles about the event and had some expectation that it was some kind of art festival that is spread out around Toronto. The event starts from 6:55pm to 6:00am and weather all week hasn't been looking too promising. If it was to rain, for sure I wouldn't be attending this event. But the weather was cooperating and Toronto got its Nuit Blanche with a great turn out.

The first place I attended was going to be the best place I visited all night. They had lots of wonderful art work displayed and the concept was crafts on a wall of a loft. Range from paper clippings glued to walls, and murals painted. My girl friend really loved this painting and I agree that was the best thing I saw all night.



As the night progressed from this gallery on, there wasn't really much more paintings or sculptures involved. Most exhibits was using everyday items such as cardboard boxes, cans, pylons, bikes and turned into something called an exhibit. There was long line ups for some exhibits and wasn't worth it because we had other places to explore. A friend of mine was questioning why they wouldn't make this into a multiple day event. The area and items to see is just too great. Some of the food chain and business were open, the ones that were was rewarded with lots of customers and super long line ups. My girlfriend also pointed out that it smelt like New York, and I didn't know why, till I saw all the street vendors and their food on their bbqs going up in the air.

I think aside from the exhibits there should be more participation from the local downtown businesses.

My overall impression is that this is a great event for people to come out just to experience parts of the city which they might not be too familiar. I never seen this many people downtown in my life and especially it was like 3am. For me it got boring as the night was winding down, the temp was dipping, me and my girlfriend was getting tired, and there wasn't too many great items that really interested me to capture as a photographer. I wasn't expecting modern art, where something like a pool of vodka would be something interesting, it caught my attention, but once seeing this pool, there wasn't much and my interest level dropped instantly.


I think I had just too much expectations and including all the other factors the night didn't turn out as great as I planned. I am glad I went out to see what this is all about, and it would be something I wouldn't do unless there was going to be drastic change or some really cool exhibits. It was a good learning experience is all I can say about myself.

Y

No comments:

Post a Comment