Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Ignorance and acceptance

Have you been stereotype because you look a certain way, or just because you are you? I just had a run into some type of racial situation which does not sound as bad as it seems. First I look at Toronto as a multi cultural city where you can run into any type of race. Children being brought up in our education systems interact with people from different background and taught about equality and looking past the color of people's skin.

Now, onto the incident. Basketball. Its a global game, where everyone to anyone can play this game. Location: York University gym. Its a university and people should be educated and open to new ideas and be at least to a certain of social level. Percentage wise, I would say blacks are the dominate race in the worlds top league (NBA) But there are many great players that are not blacks and everyone respects their playing level if they made it to this league. There was this one student and my guess its first year, had little to no respect for players of other races except his own, or who carried themselves as someone who can play at some level above his. Him and this other person wanted to play a game against me and my friend (whom we are both chinese and does not look like basketball superstars) but they retracted their offer because the black student didn't want to play against us cause of our looks/race. So 30 mins later, they challenged us again, but again this black student didn't look too interested and was very arrogant about his skills on the court. But once the game started it ended very quickly for them, as he was proven wrong by our looks and we won our game 11-4 and my team missed a total of 2 shots. He was very displeased and then gave up and showed no interest while his partner wanted a rematch because of the lopsided lost.

This kid shows no respect and had alot of growing up to do in my opinion. Majority of the players in that gym are usually opened minded and up for any challenge and I have never ran into this scenario before. I was very shocked that this actually happened. I really just think deep down he has no respect for players of other skin colors and uses a very general stereo type. Chinese people is not known for great basketball skills. Every country accelerates at their national sport and I have to say basketball is no one of them. This is very upsetting the attitude that this kid has showed. I hope no one gets into a situation where someone can be hurt or abused in any way because of their race.

Y

No comments:

Post a Comment