Thursday, April 2, 2009

What is the definition of sucess

Today I was sitting at a conference and I was thinking what does it really mean successful? I was in a room filled with lawyers, they all have their Louie Vutton handbags and their high paying jobs, and doesn't seem like they are worried about the recession at all, since it was a packed house and there is no sign of less people attending conferences.

Then I compared myself to these lawyers in the room and asked myself if I was successful. Do I have a good paying job? Do I wear fancy clothes? Do I have expensive accessories? I don't have any of those, but I still consider myself successful, not having to suffer, and having good friends and family around me.

I looked up the definition of successful on dictionary.com and found a meaning that would relate to my posting
- having attained wealth, position, honors, or the like.

I guess to the world being successful means having those things above. From my personal definition I believe doing what you like and being happy doing it will lead to success. Relative to the millionaires and billionaires I will never obtain that much amount of money, but that doesn't make me not successful. I earn enough to support myself and pay my bills. I set out to complete my degree and that is an accomplishment being the first in my family to graduate with a university degree. I guess to me, these accomplishments mean something and which makes me successful. I don't need a dollar amount to tell me that I'm important and don't have people looking down on me because I do not have money.

From students to retirees to all the people working, everyone should have a different definition of successful. It should be more goal orientated and less about how financially well off a person is. Money is not the only factor that should determine how successful you are. It is all about yourself and how you life your life, if you are happy then you are on your way to success.

Y

1 comment:

  1. I concur XD well put! although i wouldn't mind more money :P it would just mean im richer hehehe

    ReplyDelete