Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Social Networking

If you saw the title you probably think that I was going to post something about social networking websites such as facebook and myspace. I been pondering about transportation and how important it is. I believe that a good transit system brings better human social networking and how a city can benefit from it.

In the news we always hear about the government bailing the car companies out with billions of dollars, but instead of bailing out these companies, why not invest more on public transit, although I think it is too late now, because I think new communities are developed around owning a car and driving from point A to B.

I am making a very generalized comment from just observation and not really doing much research. What do the world's busiest citys have in common such as London and New York? A massive transit system where cars don't rule the street. With the ease of getting to any location, you can build hubs around the stations, such as restaurants, markets, and many other stores and businesses. With the development of all these business, it has the potential to grow to be a downtown of its own, and create jobs, new retail opportunities and that will hopefully expand to its own hotspot.

It is also better for the environment where people are not reliant on their cars. The greatest benefit is also the ease people can get together without driving a long distance. I just hate how I have to drive to a subway station and park my car there, and how much more convienet it would be if I can just take a subway and not worry about parking fees, and if your too tired you don't have to worry about traffic, or the bad drivers on the road. But I guess if you really dislike sharing a space with strangers then there isn't any benefits to riding public transit. As people move on with their lives, they tend not to stay in one place and move around, and then all your friends are no longer within a 5-10km radius. This to me is a big problem and I think better transit system can help.

I've been to 3 cities with major public transit infrastructure and there are just people all over the streets and makes the city more lively and exciting. Those places seem like there are just so many things to do. I don't know if it has to also do with the climate in those regions, but I don't think that is a problem, but would also help because then people wouldn't have to drive when its winter time and New York, London, Tokyo all have snow and cold winter conditions.

Down to it, I think I will benefit socially with a better transit system. I would never have to worry about a snow storm and places closing early. There would be more stores and retail business around my house. People would be more outgoing and walking more and have the opportunity to do more and would have healither people instead of being couch potatoes.

Y

2 comments:

  1. London does something we don't - they tax incoming cars that enter the city during business hours. So only if you're wealthy or it's urgent (or you're UPS/delivery) are you allowed. Thus, greatly reducing the number of cars and need for parking and whatnot.

    It's never too late for change, but the powers that be that control such things will never let it happen. They're not smart enough or bold enough to affect such change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that is right, I did read about that. Good point, I think toronto is copying all things from around the world and not being very innovative. HOV lanes are from California. They thought about taxing incoming cars to the city before too from Miller but that didn't pass. But of all things they copy they don't replicate the transit system.

    But yes I totally agree with you that the powers that be won't be making these changes.

    ReplyDelete