Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Travelling behavior

When i was walking around downtown Toronto sometimes i wonder if people are tourist or just everyday torontonians. One main thing that tourist have around their necks or hands are cameras and a map. But again now everyone brings a camera with them since they are so compact. Most other people walking around with backpacks are students and people wearing a suit and skirts are usually people working in the offices.

when you goto a new place knowing its mainly for tourists do you get sucked into paying the entrance fee or buying souvenirs? I certainly do. I feel that since i am not there many times in my life i should have the experience of visiting or doing a certain activity associated with the sight. Its something memorable in either a positive or negative way that i can talk about and it also adds to my knowledge and feel like Ive experience something that is not part of our everyday life.

Does your spending habits change when your on vacation? You spend more freely? And have the mentality of trying to get the most out of the new environment without holding back? I think when you don't have alot of money to spend you shouldn't really be travelling unless you are doing one of those working and living in a new city type of travelling trips. For instance eating out might be expensive but its some specialty food you cannot back at home and your willing to try this, i would definitely go and try this new thing.

I like to roam around the city and try to see what the locals do and see how life is. Also at the same time visit all the popular sites. I really don't like tour groups since the time travel is really limited and you really have to follow a schedule. Alot of times i get lost but that seems more adventurous and leads me to new things that i didn't expect to see.

Language barrier seems to be a big problem in some places but Ive made it outta those places alive but i couldn't really experience the local food and had to figure out alot on my own. I'm just curious of how everyone is when they are traveling?

Y

3 comments:

  1. Don't travel with people who have a different idea of what the travel experience should be like.

    E.g. the adventurous try everything type vs the play it safe just see the tourist sites type

    ReplyDelete
  2. good advice... hopefully the ppl you travel with have the same intentions and likes! you definitely want to be able to do everything you want to do cuz you might only get to go there once in your life.
    As for the spending part... hellz ya! i'm prolly coming back with a new wardrobe when i get back from vacation :P ohh... and im always up for trying new food... just becareful in some places, bring some pepto :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely spend more on trips than on a daily living basis, but I always have a budget beforehand so I don't overspend. My budget is pretty generous taking into account that if I don't spend enough to experience the place, then the value of my flight/hotel would be pretty worthless.
    I also take time before the trip to come up with a pretty detailed itinerary (sometimes I even google map how long it'd take me to walk from A to B). It gives me a good idea of my timelines and also helps with determining my budget. However, I do try to be flexible with my itinerary in case something better comes up.
    I traveled with some friends a long time ago and had a lot of fun then. Now I mostly just travel with Steve and he's a fantastic companion :)

    ReplyDelete