Thursday, August 12, 2010

Rogers Cup 2010

Powerful ball
Photo: Andy Murray on the practice court

I love watching and playing tennis. It is something I play alot during the week. I was lucky enough this year to go watch the men's ATP tournament in Toronto. Every year they alternate with the womens tour coming next year. The favourite and world number Rafel Nadal is playing well, and hopefully can win this tournament.

This is the first year I watched an entire day of live tennis. It is much different as if you were watching it on TV. The sound on the court sounds so crispy and with the amplification of the speakers on the court makes it sound much more exciting at times. It was the 3rd round I got a chance to watch and there were lots of great matches. All the top seeds got to play on centre court where they played a much lower ranked player, while on the others had better matched up players which made it more interesting.

Watching from the outer courts there was no bad seats, it was a first come first serve basis with the seating on the side, and premium members get seating behind the players. It was good to see how the pros hit the ball, the pace and spin. Not all players hit the ball hard, and they are all fairly accurate. Their kick served really bounce high and about at my eye level which was shocking to me.

I purchased 300 level tickets for centre court, and the viewing experience from that distance wasn't that pleasant for me. I prefer watching it on TV with the angles they are able to provide. I was not able to tell the spins and depth of the shot that easily.

There was lots of sponsors within the grounds. Petro was kind enough to give everyone some savings on their gas purchases. I wanted to get my serve clocked but they ended up having an accuracy contest instead, and I was able to win a small towel from that. Merchandise was fairly expensive, and food as well.

Aside from watching matches you can watch players practice on the side courts as well, and it actually seems fairly easy to get an autograph during their practice session or after they win the match on the smaller courts.

It was a fun and enjoyable day. If I get a chance I will mostly do it again. Perhaps another 2 years when they return to Toronto, and hopefully there still be lots of superstars around.

For my photos at the Rogers Cup, please click here

Y

No comments:

Post a Comment