Monday, August 9, 2010

Restaurant Review: Uno Chiacgo Grill

Uno Chicago Grill
280 Huntington Avenue, 
Boston, MA
(617) 424-1697
www.unos.com

Entrance
Photo: Entrance

Shortly after arriving in Boston, Me and my friends found ourselves lacking energy. We've been up early to catch a flight this was the first place I saw as we were walking along the streets of Boston. I have this fasination and curiosity about deep dish pizza after seeing it on the first time on the travel channel. On that channel they showed UNO, the original location where this pie was originated from. I was in search of one of these locations in Toronto, but the taste of the pizza was quite disappointing.

The Sampler
Photo: Sampler

We arrives slightly before lunch hour and there was no lineup. We sat down and picked our food quickly.  We first decided on the sampler which had a great variety of finger food.  They sure went away fairly quickly.  There was an avocado perogie, mild chicken wings, mozzarella sticks, some fries and chicken fingers.  They were all lightly fried to a crisp, and my personal favorite would be the mozzarella sticks.  The cheese was ozing out and it was perfectly battered.  Then next would be the avocado perogies, it wasn't that ripe and was well constructed and nothing fell out of it as you were eating it.  The other items was also prepared nicely but these 2 items just stood out.

Deep Dish Pizza
Photo: Chicago Classic Deep Dish Pizza

Now onto the main course.  It didn't take too long for the pie to come out.  We decided to get the Chicago Classic Deep Dish Pizza.  The Ingredients contained Italian Sauages, Mozzarella, Tomato sauce. Very simple toppings but it was filled to the top.  We got the large size for 3 people to share.  When the pizza arrived at the table, the size was quite small.  Once we cracked open the pizza, we saw the amount of toppings inside and how much cheese it contained.  It reminded me of pizza hut.  I was disappointed that on TV the pizza was deeper and had even more toppings, I was hoping about 1 inch thick.  First bite into the pizza it tasted good, but I had such high hopes of being it more like a lasagna than a pizza. As I was chowing down to the end near the crust, I noticed it was more like the crust of an apple pie.  It crumbled and tasted very much like a pastry and mixed well with the tomato sauce.  After another slice I found myself to be quite full now.

Cheesy Deep Dish Pizza
Photo: A Slice of the Pie

After this meal, I was satisfied and thought of how different it was to the other deep dish pizza I had last time.  But couldn't find it much different to pizza hut's pizza with loads of toppings, except the crust was constructed differently.  If this franchais was around in Toronto, I would most definitely revisit it, but until I goto Chicago to find another original deep dish pizza joint, I am still not 100% satisfied.  Overall, everything was good, service, food, atmosphere.  The price was not overly expensive and the total bill came to around $35 after taxes and tip. 

Loads of topping
Photo: Fresh From the Oven

I would rate it 3/5
For Larger pictures please visit my set here
Y
Bar Area

No comments:

Post a Comment