Thursday, November 5, 2009

Why we help people?

So recently I've been thinking about why we do things. This seems very generalized, but please read on. So when we go help someone we know or a stranger, what kind of expectations do you have? Someone told me that they believe that other people owe them for all they have done for them. Then I get into the fact other people are just being used.

When it comes to friendship, I believe you don't own anyone anything. You do things for your friends and family just cause you feel like they are close to you. I don't think someone should think they owe their family anything if they help them out because your parents gave you life. Technically you should owe them for raising you no matter what job they did, they should love you. (in a normal family situation of course) You help your friends cause you should be there for your friends, and you have the good and bad times together. (at least thats some aspect to look at friendship)

So how do you feel when you help a stranger? I guess it depends on a task, what if you gave your seat up to an old lady, or help someone carry something up the stairs that you thought was too heavy for them. I don't think of that as doing too much and people expect anything back. Maybe they just believe in karma. Or some people are just nice and likes to help others. Whatever the case maybe it makes people feel good to help others in most cases.

Do you sometimes get people who only need your help and only contact you when they need help? I think thats very shady of those people. I wouldn't call those people friends. I think thats being used, and some people just don't know when to stop. Once it starts and you continue, the other person will just continue to take advantage of you until you say no, or brush them away.

What if your just trading your help knowing in return you will get something? In this case, I think its okay to help, I wouldn't even call it help. Its like giving up your time/labour/skill for someone's time/labour/skill. Maybe its also karma.

I would say, when you help someone, its best not to expect anything in return. You never know what your going to get. If your expecting nothing, then thats great! You will never feel like your being used, and feel good about yourself that you helped someone. But if you constantly looking for something in return, it seems like your a gold digger. You wouldn't be very happy not getting what you want in return. I preferably like to help my friends and if I would consider them a friend and family, then I'm confident if I needed some help they would offer without me asking. I'm sure there are still some good people out there in the world.

Y

1 comment:

  1. Amen! :P
    I think it's just common courtesy and makes the world a better place if we just help each other out... I would never expect anything in return... and it makes you feel really good too to know you helped someone even if its something soo little.

    ReplyDelete